Roles of Behind-the-Scene Crew Members in a Video Production Team
- by Pragyansini Kar Dec 24, 2020
Any video production is a team process which requires different individuals with expertise in their respective field to work together as a crew for ensuring a smooth production process. From pre to post production, all the members should be in sync with each other and work must be divided and their roles should be clearly defined and followed. The Visual House is one of the best production houses in India and with a decade of experience in producing fiction, non-fiction, short-films and documentaries, we know all about behind the scene necessities and most common roles of crew members and we are more than happy to share with you the same.
- Producer: Being one of the best production houses in Delhi, we work all types of big and small budget production and there is no denying the importance of the producer of a film. A producer is the leader of any project and he or she is responsible for assembling the team and ensuring development of the film. From ideation, scripting to post production, the producer and its team is integral part of each step and it is their responsibility not only to make sure of the coordination between all the other crew members, but also to ensure that schedule and budget is maintained throughout the film making process.
- Director: While the producer is responsible for every aspect of a project, a director is mainly there for the filmmaking and is accountable for shooting and structure of the film. A director works as a leader for bringing out the vision of the film and best out of every crew member. So, in a sense, the director is the leader of the project and has all the artistic responsibilities directly tied to him or her. It is also important to understand that while a director has artistic freedom, theoretically, a producer can overrule the director upon any matter as it is the producer who hires the director.
- Scriptwriter- From story to dialogues, a scriptwriter prepares the skeleton of a film, which then is transformed into a film by the director with the help of other crew members. Storyboard artist prepares sketches after reading the script which further lets directors come closer to their vision.
- Art director- Everything related to setting, interior, landscapes or props are the responsibility of an art director and its team.
- Costume and make-up: As the name suggests, they are mainly there for the costumes of characters and for maintaining consistent looks not only for aesthetics, but also for continuity.
- Lighting and cinematography: One of the most essential teams is the lighting and cinematography. Everything depends on them as they are the core group of behind the scene members responsible for the shoot and the footage.
- Editor: It is on the editor’s table where all the different footage and aspects come together to make a film. Although, guided by the producer’s and director’s vision, an editor still has a lot to do and it is the editor’s work that can make or break your entire project. As one of the best production houses in Delhi, we always make sure that editing is top notch for every project.
- Sound and music: Half of a film is visuals and another half is the sound and music, so needless to say music plays a vital part for making emotions work and ensure the movie is appealing.